Choosing Early Years education…

I wrote previously about J visiting his new Preschool, well he starts officially on Thursday! 

I thought now might be a good time to write about Early Years and what it all means.

Where to go…

There are so many early years providers now it can get confusing. 

  • Childminders-take babies up to school age, and run from their home. Great for a ‘homely feel’ and smaller group of children. Childminder qualifications vary from level 3 to Early Years Professionals/Teachers. 
  • Day nursery-is a full day and usually all year round setting which splits children by age into different rooms. They usually take babies to when child starts school. 
  • Preschool-are usually sessional but can be full day and often term time only. They take children aged 2-school age. They are usually led by an graduate, Early Years Professional or Early Years Teacher (not all so do check). 
  • Maintained Nursery/School Nursery-is a nursery run by a Prinary School. Usually opens for 3-School ages (some take funded 2’s) and term time only. Run by a teacher and assistants.
  • Nanny-this is usually by private arrangements where you employ the Nanny. Advantage is that there is more flexibility of hours.

Which you choose should be based on:

  • Location (can you get there easily?)
  • Cost (if not funded)
  • Research (ofsted, website, ask on local forums)
  • Visits and your ‘gut feeling’ about the place
  • Learning style eg: do you like Montessori? Would you like somewhere with a certain ‘ethos’?


  • 2 year funding is for those with low income or circumstances such as disability, adoption etc. It was designed to help bridge the gap between those with possible ‘disadvantages’ and their peers before they start school (note-I do not condone stereotyping. Not all in poverty are not meeting children’s needs, not all disabled are ‘disadvantaged’ because of it). Once funded it stays with you till universal funding. 
  • 3/4year old funding is universal and starts the term after your child turns 3. It then follows through to starting school. 
  • Tax credit support is a way of getting money back from the government towards cost of childcare.
  • 30hr funding will be for families where both parents work (or a single parent in single parent families). This is still being trialled.

More info on funding can be found on

Children with speech and language needs…

Starting an early years provider can be exciting and scary for everyone (parents included). For a child who lacks the ability to communicate understandably it can be even more scary. My advice is…

  • Ask to speak to the Special Educational Needs and Disability Coordinator (SENDCo) to find out their experience with SAL.
  • Find out if they hold any quality assurance schemes such as ICAN or ECAT that supports communication.
  • Are any of the staff Makaton trained? How do they use it?
  • If your child uses PECs then ask if they are trained and whether they already have the resources.
  • Ask about transition policy. It may be worth extra visits so you can help staff to get to know how your child communicates. Please, never feel you have to rushed through transition process. You and your child need to feel comfortable.
  • Ask your Speech and Language Therapist if they can contact the setting to support and advise them.

Individual Education Plans:

This is a set of targets that are specific to your child. These should be linked to your current therapy targets and based on supporting the needs of your child.   

Targets are usually set for 6-8 weeks and then reviewed. You should always be involved in setting targets and helping review them. This is your child and you know their abilities. 

More information on supporting children with additional needs can be found be googling ‘SEN Code of Practice, 2014’. 

I could go on and on but I’ll stop there for now. If you have any questions please feel free to ask 🙂


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s